Wednesday, September 14, 2011
Billy's been giving me some problems lately.
You see, being more of a painter than a sculptor/modeller, I was in a bit of a rush to get paint on Billy, and have encountered an interesting conundrum.
I feel some areas on Billy are a little bare and need more detail, but I only realized this after the model was pretty much close to fully painted.
Kind of an unavoidable problem in my opinion, and a side effect of building complex models mostly from scratch, in that you aren't really sure if the model has enough bling on it as you're working. I've had similar problems with terrain before, but as that sort of thing can be rescued with freehand and weathering, and managed to solve the problem that way.
Billy, on the other hand, is somewhat different. As a daemon engine of Slaanesh, he's supposed to be all whippety-sleekness, and not really given to massive spikeyness or corrosion.
My solution? I'll add wires I reckon.
It will reinforce the Noise Marine connection, and hopefully add a little more colour to the model, which I see mostly as black/gunmetal/gold so far.
Other than that, here are some of the points of note I've added since we last saw Billy:
He's got a shiny new loincloth, cut from the Ogre Bulls banner, trimmed and freehanded with a purple chaos star. Also all of the larger studs (except the gimp ones on the legs) have been painted as turquoise gemstones, and the chain + skull thingies have been painted.
We'll see how the wire idea works out. Planning to add it to all the under-carapace areas. Should be a nice boost to surface detail, especially with a nice stripey yellow and black colour scheme.
PS: Building your own model from odds and sods taught me another interesting lesson -- it's really hard to declare a scratch-built model 'complete'.